Tuesday, April 30

Summer Movie Hit List: 'Iron Man 3'



It is finally summer at the movies this weekend and the box office is going to be heating up very quickly this weekend with the release of Iron Man 3. Over the next few weeks, or so, I will be discussing the films that I am truly excited about (Star Trek into Darkness, Man of Steel), films that have my attention (Now You See Me, The Bling Ring), and head scratching ‘why-did-they-make-this-into-a-franchise-films’ (Hangover Part III; SPOILER: Money!).I will give you my two cents on what I think the story is about and if I think it is worth spending hard earned cash on or just wait till it is on HBO.
It is a little bit weird to be excited for Iron Man 3 because its predecessor is such a train wreck of a film compared to the first Iron Man. One of the biggest problems I had with the sequel is the change of actor in the same role of Rhodey from Terrence Howard to Don Cheadle. This is a pet peeve of mine and it bugs me so much that I wrote an entire post about it here. The movie loses some of its magic for me when an actor previously in the role is changed. I invested in the way Terrence Howard played the role and to be uprooted and taken out of the narrative because of a side-kick character is disheartening, but I digress. On its own, Iron Man 2 is probably a good movie but compared to Iron Man the movie is inferior work, and many viewers agree. However, The Avengers became a blockbuster and the ultimate superhero movie, in terms of box office, and breathed new life into each of the Avengers. Now, Iron Man 3 is clearly the most anticipated movie of the summer, and arguably of the year. And based on the trailer, critics, and that massive overseas box office haul ($198 million) it appears that Iron Man 3 brings the goods as well.
Iron Man 3 has the genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist taking on an extremely dangerous foe that goes by the name The Mandarin. The Mandarin seems like the villain who is going to take the arrogant superhero to his knees. There are many shots in the trailer of Iron Man falling out of the sky and laying in the street down and out. It seems like this foe is going to be the ultimate test both physically and mentally for Iron Man and it is going to be exciting.

Iron Man 3 can finally be seen in the States this Friday, May 3. If you have been living under a rock and have missed the trailer here it is below: 

No comments:

Post a Comment